Nurgle Blood Bowl Team

Back in January 2016, fresh (or rotten!) from Madrid, Spain, Hungry Troll successfully crowdfunded on Indiegogo a Nurgle team called "Plague Field".
I received them in December 2019, but frankly couldn't get near them with other projects going on, and I only completed them in March 2020.
As you can see, I went for the all-metal version, although the Rotspawn / Beast of Nurgle came in resin only which was sensible given the size! Speaking of whom, he came with 2x arm and 2x head options, so I decided to magnetise them. I also got a 'prone' marker for him, which effectively is a mini-replica to mark the square.
Magnetised Rotspawn options...
Nurgle Rotspawn with antlers head option and chain fist
Nurgle Rotspawn with horned-head option and tentacles
Once the miniatures are clipped and filed down they are then super-glued...
...and then they are drilled and pinned to the base because they are weighty models and need to be!
Once all prepared, they needed priming to ensure that the other paint had something to bind to...
...and because, coincidentally, GW's Contrast Paints had just made their appearance, and as I had invested in the range, I thought I should give them a go! So these guys were primed in Wraithbone which is a super-smooth primer allowing the Contrast paints to flow.

I started off with the Rotspawn just to see how it went...
...and I have to say it was weird!! However, it seemed to go fairly well and they were interesting to use. So I stuck to the challenge of using all contrast paints, at least for the base colours, with the freedom to highlight etc with more traditional ways later.
I tried to mix up Gulliman's flesh (which is brilliant for human flesh!) with green and purple washes for the Bloaters to give a proper rotten look. Doesn't necessarily come out well in my photos though - judge for yourself!
Like all these things, when I look at the photos there are clearly things to tidy up... But they'll do for now.
All in all I enjoyed using the Contrast paints. There are some with a lot more pigmentation than others, and you really have to stop using them like a 'traditional' paint where you rework an area - instead you cover an area once, don't touch it and let it dry and trust in how it will eventually look compared to what it looks like when wet. You will also notice I colour coded the base-rims. Always good to do, particularly on non-GW teams!

I enjoyed the bases too, as I used a texture paint, and basecoated/highlighted in the normal way, but then added a slime effect which really suits the team. This was achieved with Plaguebearer Flesh and lots of shiny varnish. This was achievable by using slot-less bases, so no mucking about with filler!

I hope this helped pass the time. I look forward to bringing them to a table top later in 2020 or early 2021! I was hoping to take these to a tournament but it got cancelled as Covid19 kicked off. Stay safe everyone, and feel free to comment, suggest or point and laugh below.

Comments

Popular Posts