Tomb Kings Blood Bowl Team - Lockdown project

In my quest to paint & coach the iconic 24 teams I decided to back GamesMiniatures's Desert Screamers Kickstarter which was fully backed in October 2018 and which I received in February 2020.
This is a Tomb Kings (aka Khemri) team, which for those of you that don't know, is based on an Egyptian mummified-undead-Pharaoh-type theme. They consist of four Tomb Guardians, two Anointed Blitzers, two Anointed Throwers and lots of animated Skeleton linemen.
I had already begun work on this team after completing my Nurgle team. Unfortunately the Covid19 crisis meant that the tournament I was going to take my Nurgle team to was cancelled, and a further tournaments for the spring & summer of 2020 were understandably cancelled outright. The pressure was off therefore in getting this team done for any other tournaments. I must admit though, I struggled with hobby over this time mainly because despite saving time not commuting to work, I was using the same room for both work and hobby, and frankly I wanted to get out of there once work was finished, so weirdly this project took longer to do than most!

I decided to go with a gold-heavy scheme to reflect the opulence of the team. I hadn't done much gold work, or indeed much metallics in general, so this was a good time to get some practise in. Furthermore, I decided to do something a little different with the bases. Typically I would PVA glue some fine sand and paint it, or use static grass or perhaps some of Games Workshop's textured paints range. This time however I fancied trying some pyramid-esque sandstone effect. I could have used some sort of greenstuff stencil, but instead thought I would try using some thin foam sheets. In combination with my craft drill set, I set about cutting and shaping them.
This started to take on the feel of a primary school project!
Once done I sprayed them with Zandri Dust, washed them, and then highlighted with Ushabti Bone and were super-glued to standard 32mm bases.
Once the bases were done, it was all about getting the resin miniatures ready. Once cut out, trimmed and smoothed off, and primed in Wraithbone (as I wanted to use the Skeleton Horde Contrast paint)...
...I super-glued them straight onto the foam. I didn't need to drill them, thankfully, as the feet of the models are particularly thin and that would have gone horribly wrong. As it is, they are very light model pieces and particularly delicate, bearing in my skeleton-bone-thin limbs.
The colour scheme I chose was fairly simple, but I decided to go with a darker-grey bandages as opposed to the typical cream bandages just so it showed off the gold a bit. The gold was done by painting in Retributor Armour, washed in Reikland Flesh, highlighted back with Retributor and Auric Gold. Below you can see the comparison with the base and wash with the finished gold look.
Base & wash vs finished gold look... shiney!
I also had some trial & error with the 'undead' look... First I tried just painting the flesh in Hexwraith Flame but I thought it was too much...
 ...so I changed over to painting the flesh in Slaanesh Grey leaving the eyes with a green glow.
In the end I was happy with the overall look. Sure, I've nowhere near paid enough attention to the detail, but I just wanted to get them done. 16 miniatures will give me enough variety for a number of different team configurations, or perhaps a league one day.
Tomb Guardians - The golden Pharaohs - Kings & Queens
Anointed Throwers... will they ever make a completion?
Anointed Blitzers
Skeleton Linemen... I particularly like the animated Dwarf linemen complete with beards!
Sadly, the NAF have announced that the 24/26 team commemorative patches will be discontinued by December 2021, so I need to get my skates on with getting the rest of the teams played. However, I don't think I will be able to knock out that many painted teams in time, so I will just have to borrow a few painted teams in the meantime as I really want to get some 40K projects at least started!

I hope this was of interest. Feel free to post any questions, comments or suggestions below.

Comments

Popular Posts